‘Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.”’ (Matthew 19:14)
Children or young people aged 7-13 who are willing to accept the Lord Jesus Christ as their personal Saviour can become Junior Soldiers of The Salvation Army, a group of young followers of the Lord Jesus. When secular values such as academic achievement and material idols are constantly affecting the physical, mental, spiritual and social health of children and young people, Junior Soldiers rely on the help of Christ to stay away from sins and live holy through bible stories, social life, faith in practice and serving others. They can be gospel ambassadors in their families, schools and communities and help more people to know Jesus. Hence, every Junior Soldier must make the following confession and promise.
Junior Soldier’s Promise
I know that Jesus is my Saviour from sin.
I have asked him to forgive my sins, and I will trust him to keep me good.
By his help, I will be his loving and obedient child, and will help others to follow him.
I promise to pray, to read my Bible, and to lead a life that is clean in thought, word and deed.
I will not use anything that may injure my body or my mind, including harmful drugs, alcohol and tobacco.
The way to becoming a Junior Soldier
- Bible Stories
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”(2 Timothy 3:16-17). Through bible stories, Junior Soldiers learn about the truth of Jesus Christ and become a young disciple who bears the fruit of Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23)
- Social Life
Junior Soldiers will take part in various activities, such as Junior Soldier L.I.F.E. Program, Junior Soldier camps and united meetings to learn about cooperation, sharing, encouraging and tolerance in a community
- Faith in Practice
Junior Soldiers have an opportunity to put the good behaviours they have learnt from the bible stories into practice in their families, schools and Corps (Churches); also let more people know the Lord Jesus through different opportunities.
- Serving Others
By serving the community and the people in need, Junior Soldiers have the opportunity to fulfill the Salvation Army slogan of ‘Heart to God and Hand to Man’
Introduction to Junior Soldier L.I.F.E. Program
- Youth Department aim to nurture Junior Soldiers to be a disciple of Jesus Christ through “Junior Soldier L.I.F.E. Program”.
- As Bible said, “Let no one despise your youth, but be an example to the believers in word, in conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity.” (1 Timothy 4:12). Therefore, there are four key elements which are “Love”, “Integrity”, “Faith”, “Encouragement” in Junior Soldier L.I.F.E. Program, nurture Junior Soldiers to become a disciple who loves God and loves people.
- In the program, Brown, Silver and Gold medals are four achievements of life nurturing. These achievements include seven different categories: Pray, Bible reading, Worship, Holy life, Service, Planning and Participation. Youth Department hope Junior Soldiers are accompanied by Junior Soldier Leaders and Parents, so that they will have a healthy life physically and spiritually.
- Moreover, Youth Department hope Junior Soldiers can be established in self-confident, discipline and team spirit, so that they can encourage and life influencing life each other, know the Spirit of Salvation Army better.
You can become a Junior Soldier if you
- are aged 7 to 13
- have the approval from your parents or guardians
- are willing to know and accept Jesus Christ as your Saviour
- enroll on the Junior Soldier preparation course provided by The Salvation Army
- complete the preparation course; after being approved by the Divisional Headquarters, you are now a Junior Soldier
Youth Ministries News
The Salvation Army Hong Kong and Macau Territory
Address: 6/F, 11 Wing Sing Lane, Yaumatei, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Tel.: (852) 2783 2314
Fax: (852) 2319 0670