The much-anticipated Appeal Week is BACK.
This year, we focus on our works in Northern India, Papua New Guinea, Rwanda & Burundi, Tanzania and Australia. With the support from International Self-Denial Fund, The Salvation Army can provide timely and relevant assistance to the people in need there, enhancing their living standard and livelihood. Therefore, each of our donation becomes the foundation to transform lives in our Partner Countries & Areas.
Week 1: All Aspects of our Lives Transformed
Punjab, situated north of India, is tortured by extreme poverty. Families are often helpless when emergency and sickness come.
Fortunately, with the help from The Salvation Community Empowerment Programmes which is coordinated by International Self-Denial Fund, hope is ignited within the community. By educating mothers and women the knowledge of saving money and starting small business, they became self-relied, and All Aspects of their lives are Transformed.
Since early April 2021, the number of COVID-19 cases has risen in an unprecedented speed. On some days, there were over 400,000 cases recorded. Hospitals operated by The Salvation Army are providing medical assistance for the patients, trying the best to save lives. Through International Self-Denial Fund, we we will be able to express our support.
As part of The Salvation Army, every blessing from you is a chance to transform lives. Although they live far away from us, their hearts are connected to our love and care.
Indian Northern Territory
- Messengers of the Kingdom session 2018-2020 should have been commissioned in April, unfortunately, it became impossible due to Covid-19 induced nationwide lockdown and we hope to be commissioning them in the third week of June.
- The financial resources have become a great challenge throughout the territory, particularly for corps officers who raise funds for allowance and local needs by conducting meetings in the halls, but the Government has imposed restrictions on religious gatherings since 25 March 2020.
- Social distancing has been impossible to those living in small houses with more than five members in the family and the Government reiterates this much needed norm to be strictly adhered to. Besides, many villagers are forced to become jobless, when they as migrant workers returned homes.
- Territorial Reviews and Assessment of corps by being with the Divisions and districts could not happen as planned, due to restriction of interstate movements within the territory which is likely to resume whenever eased.
- We would face a huge challenge for Social Appeal, Self-Denial and Harvest funds while the nation is facing currently economic challenges.
- We could not help young people and children with resource materials for Vacation Bible School except through online to inspire and encourage them with Bible lessons.
- Movement of officers is necessary in corps and institutions. Sadly, though orders have been sent to them in March a month ahead, they had to be cancelled and the officers have to cope with the existing environments and continue to serve the community.
- We were unable to print periodicals such as The War Cry and The Young Soldier for Salvationists. We could only send them electronically, though soldiers normally cannot have access to these periodicals.
Jeremiah 31:4 King James Bible
Again I will build thee, and thou shalt be built, O virgin of Israel: thou shalt again be adorned with thy tabrets, and shalt go forth in the dances of them that make merry.
Week 2: All Aspects of our Lives Transformed
In Hong Kong, getting access to clean water is something we take for granted. However, for those living in ZwaZulu-Natal Region, it is never easy. Over 80% of the population still relies on drinking from rivers and streams. Without clean sources of water, residents get sick easily.
With the International Self-Denial Fund, The Salvation Army is able to implement Water, Sanitation & Hygiene Program (WASH Program) there, building ablution facilities, water pumps and boring holes for the communities. At schools, trainings are organised for students and teachers so that knowledge could be spread out.
With better livelihood, attendance of schools increased. Students’ happiness and confidence also have been promoted in a large extent. In the past, there were regular outbreaks of cholera, now, it has ceased to be a threat.
The WASH program is carried out in 11 communities, benefitting over 50,000 people.
Prayer Topics: Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands Territory
Finances: Give thanks to God for the many territories and donors who continue to support the people of Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands. The territory also has good income-generating enterprises that provide much needed finances. Pray that God will grant the decision-makers divine wisdom and courage to explore further opportunities to generate income within the territory and that God will open doors and close doors as appropriate. Pray for the spiritual generosity among Salvationists in order that they may give of their first fruits to God despite their poverty.
Community: Pray against the social ills and evils in our society, including gender-based violence, sorcery and witchcraft (and related deaths), tribal fighting and corruption. Pray that God will continue to expand TSA’s response to these social issues.
Young People: Pray for our Salvationist children and young people and our emerging leaders that God will grant them opportunities for education and development in order that they may reach their full potential and influence society for Christ.
Righteousness and justice are the foundation of your throne; love and faithfulness go before you. Psalm 89:14
Week 3: A Helping Hand – A Grace and A Blessing in One
Situated near the biggest city, San Paolo in Brazil, Vila dos Pescadores is tormented by violence and crime. To protect the children there, The Salvation Army has been the safe haven for over 30 years, saving and transforming numerous lives.
After finishing morning schools, over 240 children would go to The Salvation Army church to continue their happy afternoon learning period. Trainings on drugs and human trafficking are given to them and they also enjoy making handicraft and doing exercises. The Salvation Army not only take care of the young ones, the needs of parents are also answered. Through visits and health trainings, a close relationship is built between the two hoping to bring new hopes.
Now, The Salvation Army has become the core of the community through the love of God.
People in Hong Kong mostly enjoy a comparatively more abundant life. However, with the threat of COVID-19, our society and economy have seen unprecedented impact. Brazil, as a developing country, the lives would be much harder. We sincerely ask for your support, offering a helping hand.
Being able to help others is both a Grace and a Blessing. Please show your support to International Self-Denial Appeal supporting more people in need in the world.
Prayer Topics: Rwanda and Burundi Command
1. For a good transition between the outgoing and incoming General Secretary and CSWM as well as Officer Commanding and CPWM.
2. For the political misunderstanding between our two countries, Rwanda and Burundi, to be settled.
3. For our comrades to stay faithful to the Lord and loyal to the Army despite this COVID-19 pandemic lockdown.
4. For The Salvation Army in Burundi to survive the new law about churches in the Country.
5. For the Corps and outposts in the Command to be self-supporting; For the political issues between Rwanda and South Africa and between Rwanda and Uganda to be settled.
Scripture: Psalm 72:13-14
He will take pity on the weak and the needy and save the needy from death. He will rescue them from oppression and violence, for precious is their blood in his sight.
Week 4: A Helping Hand – A Grace and A Blessing in One
Artem, an orphan, were lonely and isolated throughout his entire childhood. There was once a family agreed to adopt him, but he was treated a tool to be taken advantage of. After that, he turned to alcohol and drinking to reality and hardship because he felt nobody could understand him.
When he grew up, encouraged by a friend, Artem finally accepted the help from The Salvation Army Corps, becoming part of God’s family. He learnt many life skills such as cooking and budgeting. Artem finally gained what he always lacked in the past and in his childhood – a Family, with financial and mental support. Artem said he is NOMORE an orphan because he has become a Child of God.
With God’s guidance, many lost souls like Artem could retrieve life’s goal in God. We inevitably experience failures and loss but the love of God will never cease. Please support the International Self-Denial Fund, allowing The Salvation Army to offer help to the people in need.
Prayer Topics: TANZANIA TERRITORY
1. Officers and their families who have changed appointments
2. Majors Vijay and Param Gundabatini as they await Resident Permits from Tanzania to take up their appointments as TFS and Education/Projects
3. Candidates for the 2021-2022 session of Cadets
4. Next year’s Cadets Commissioning will be held at Mbeya division which is more than 900 km from THQ, and this will be the second time for commissioning to be held outside THQ. We request prayer support for the commissioning.
Scripture: And he passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, “The Lord, the Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness,” Exodus 34:6
Week 5: A Helping Hand – A Grace and A Blessing in One
Each territory is facing various difficulties and challenges. In South Africa, clean source of drink water is a luxury; living in Brazil where crime rate and violence are rampant, the safety of children is seriously threatened. With the spread of COVID-19, it could only be worsened. While we, living in Hong Kong with a relatively better living standard, can do more than we imagine.
Through the International Self-Denial Fund, our support can change lives in those countries and areas. With safe water source, the health standard is much improved in South Africa; children in Brazil see The Salvation Army as safe haven; women and mothers in India have learnt to be self-sufficient.
Your action helps the International Self-Denial Fund to offer a helping hand to the needy in different territories. We believe that LOVE could cross thousand of miles and improve people’s lives.
We offer our love and care under the guidance of God. Please show your support to the Self-Denial Appeal.
Prayer Topics: AUSTRALIA TERRITORY
1. The ongoing protection and safety of our frontline workers as they serve the most vulnerable in this COVID-19 environment.
2. Wisdom as we continue the transformation process to operate as one Australian Territory; in particular to ensure simple but effective national processes to assist the frontline as they deliver the mission.
3. Wisdom to ensure ongoing missional focus in financially sustainable ways.
4. A sense of peace, empowerment and anointing for all Officers who are impacted by the ‘general change;’ process.
Scripture: God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.” Psalms 46:1